While patient management system is an integral part of providing efficient healthcare services, data protection laws make it mandatory to provide reasonable safeguards to protect patient information from inappropriate use or disclosure.
With the growing number of apps, along with volumes of data to manage, healthcare providers are swamped with the duel challenge to support their clinical staff, while protecting patient data. It is especially overwhelming for larger healthcare organizations, wherein, individual users are provided with multiple roles. For instance, a clinical staff, let’s say a doctor could hold positions in clinical researcher department as well as be a student in the same establishment. In such a scenario, assigning proper access as per the role of an individual could become a difficult task for IT department and they need to strategically integrating IAM in to enterprise IT system.
By integrating IAM technology, healthcare organizations may look at increasing efficiency and bringing security in their IT systems.
Identity and Access Management (IAM) built for healthcare organizations is able to address numerous operational challenges for accessing clinical applications. This is done by protecting information and simultaneously maintaining compliance norms. IAM and Patient Management System when integrated, ensures increased efficiency, higher conversion-rates, improves patient experience and safeguard sensitive patient information, along with making the entire system HIPAA-compliant.
How IAM helps in increasing efficiency of patient management system?
Patient management system has now become an integral part for healthcare organizations as it provides higher efficiency. With the integration of IAM, healthcare organizations may look at increasing the efficiency of their systems manifold. Here’s how:
- Single sign-on (SSO), along with fast user-switching, helps in reducing time for accessing shared workstations.
- Proficient provisioning helps in automating new user access for applications in small period of time instead of waiting for days.
- Capabilities such as application integration, that includes point-and-click SSO as well as shared patient context across applications, help in achieving higher efficiency.
- Access based on role enables clinical applications through clinical roles for minimizing any unauthorized access.
- Rapid termination of access of employees who have left the organization could be initiated from systems in the hospitals, that includes access to Electronic Medical Record (EMR) as well as applications that have sensitive clinical information.
- Capabilities such as self-service reporting helps in accessing patient health information in a comprehensive manner. Corporate role policies could be enforced through certification and remediation workflows.
How Avancer integrates Patient Management System Integration with IAM?
Through its integration solutions, Avancer has been helping healthcare organizations to overcome challenges by providing solutions that help in undertaking frequent regulatory audits and enforcement, protecting patient’s health information, monitoring applications accessed by clinicians, creating dynamic workforce through collaborative care across boundaries, and easing IT resources by automating systems related to IAM.
Avancer has also integrated IAM solution for leading healthcare applications such as Cerner and EPIC. Avancer has crafted a generic Application integrator catering to all Identity Management functions that automated communication between Healthcare IT Applications and Identity Management System. The product started off with provision and de-provision accounts into various positions on server. Through application integrators, user could possess one or multiple accounts and authenticate to different data sources. It facilitated reconciliation of existing accounts into IDM system. It adds Certifications capabilities on which managers and audit team members could take certification-related actions such as certify positions (credentials and other information) or revoke positions. All these tasks are automated by integrating the healthcare application with the enterprise IAM System.
Integrating Patient Management System with IAM infrastructure is important for better reporting, faster on-boarding/removal of employees and easier management of user identity. In addition to management of user identity – an integrator could work towards syncing Patient Management System with IAM infrastructure to improve efficiency and reducing errors, password resets and improper access.