As commonly known, API stands for application programming interface, that helps bring together a wide range of business services in order to facilitate organizational growth. Similarly, an Identity API is a well-defined HTTP/S based service that makes everything from a single focused task (i.e. reset password) to the entirety of your Identity and Access Management infrastructure available to developers.
One of the pioneering companies in this segment is Oracle. The Oracle API Gateway is an all-inclusive platform for managing, delivering and securing web API’s. It provides integration, acceleration, governance and security for API and SOA-based systems. It is available on Windows, Linux, and Solaris. For example, it enables the marketing department to manage agency access to digital assets or anything in between that your IAM infrastructure supports.
Oracle API Gateway excels in the following security and access management features;
- Identity Mediation – The API Gateway can authenticate external clients by username and password, but then issue SAML tokens that are used for identity propagation to application servers thus allowing identity mediation between different identity schemes.
- API Management – It enables you to secure Web APIs against attacks and abuse confirming to their Oath security standard. It also secures exchange of data, managing access to data and usage of Web APIs.
- Application-level Networking – The API Gateway routes data based on sender identity, content, and type. This acts as an important control point for network traffic by shielding endpoint services from direct access.
- Audit Trail – It meets audit requirements by enabling service transactions to be archived in a tamper-proof store for subsequent audit. It also facilitates privacy by allowing sensitive information, such as customer names, to be encrypted.
- Centralized Management – API Gateway Manager provides quick and easy access to manage your API Gateways and services.
- Access Management – Using HTTP Basic/ Digest Authentication method the credentials of any identity are verified and accordingly granted access to company resources.
- Identity Management – Integrating with existing third-party Identity Management (IM) infrastructures such as Microsoft Active Directory, Oracle Access Manager, CA SiteMinder, Entrust GetAccess, IBM Tivoli Access Manager, etc it authenticates and authorizes message traffic.
Whether your organization is new to Identity Management or has implemented the technology since quite some time, Oracle API Gateway is surely going to make things a lot easier and quicker.